Join the Brave Girl Community

Friday, January 30, 2015

A Perfect Zero

I love to do math. I've always enjoyed the simple, predictable comfort I have found in numbers. The answers never change. Again and again, I can control the outcome if I place the same numbers in the same equation.

How frustrating life becomes, when people are not predictable like numbers.

For me, a recent revelation occurred where I realized that I'd all along thought that God was like people. God is not. He is predictable and consistent, never changing. This is not to mean that I can predict what God will do, but that His character is laid out in the Bible.

1 John 4:18 "Such love has no fear, because perfect love expels all fear. If we are afraid, it is for fear of punishment, and this shows that we have not fully experienced his perfect love." (NLT)

My life has been spent trying to please God. Trying to perform well so that I will remain in His favor, and worried that He will be angry if I fail. When I read the above words in New Living Translation, it was so clear. My efforts? A perfect zero.

Whether I try to add my efforts to God's love to gain more of it, or whether I fail and fear that my efforts will take away from His love for me, the truth is, that my efforts are a whopping zero!


All my failures and sins, multiplied by the value of my efforts? Deeds x zero = zero
All my good deeds, divided by the value of my efforts? Deeds / zero = zero

Christ died for us while we were still sinners, and all sin has been accounted for. The balance is paid and we have a zero account.

Let us then live a life worthy of our calling, penitent for our missteps but not pining over our poor performances. God has so much more for us. We say we're sorry and then we step forward, victorious! Just as you and I delight and praise young children for taking their first steps rather than expressing dismay at their stumbling and falling, God delights in our efforts toward His glorification!

Deuteronomy 31:6 "Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the Lord your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.” (NIV)

God's love for you is perfect and unchanging, and there is nothing you can do to separate yourself from His love (Romans 8:28-38)


Filled with joy,
~Tammy  

No comments:

Post a Comment